My breathing was settling after a long canter uphill. We stopped nearby a drying greengage tree. I closed my eyes because of the strong rays of the setting sun on one of the last of May’s colder afternoons. Thus I found myself in the middle of a wondrous mixture of experiences. I could feel the slightly cool breeze on my blushing cheeks. I leaned back a little, supported myself with my left hand, and let myself go. He still had a little left of his winter coat, I could feel it when moving my fingers. It was warm. We were just standing there on the top of that hill, concentrating on nothing and everything at once. I could feel his breathing slowing down, his muscles easing, him letting his head further down where it was more comfortable for him.
The smell of the beginning of summer was carried by the wind. The scent of horses, flowers, the nearby fishing lake, the grassy, moist soil, the freshness of the greengage woods surrounding us was all in a breath of air. I could hear the scattering of rabbits in the bush on our right. Twigs cracked under their feet. After that it was only a few chirps carried by the slow wind. Everything was at peace, and silent. At that time I felt I was really in sync with nature and my horse. I can’t even tell how much time we spent alone – but still together – on that same spot. I totally lost track of time. It felt both like a second and eternity.
Eventually I opened my eyes, leaving my dreamland behind. I had to twinkle for a while to get used to the bright light again. I was just staring at my horse’s mane when I noticed his ears moving from the side to the front. From that I knew these were our last moments of solitude; he could hear something moving. A few moments later it became clear to me as well that the sound he heard was hoof humping on the ground. I was again amazed by his keen senses, sat up straight, stretched my limbs, patted him on the neck after hugging it, and prepared for the greeting of the riders approaching.
Nincsenek megjegyzések:
Megjegyzés küldése